Children these days are much different from what kids used to be twenty years before. Moreover, they are also more demanding and are being raised in a much more competitive environment than before. Hence, it is only fair that as parents you encourage your child’s curiosity by providing them with toys and materials that are more educational and stimulating. This is not as easy as walking into a grocery and picking up a dozen apples. You need to invest a great deal in picking up the right toy for your child in terms of time and thought while doing so.
Here are some tips that will help you chose the right educational toy for your child.
- Choose a toy that matches the interests of your child. For instance, if your child likes creating things, get him/her building blocks or clay dough, if your child is into exploring get a play tent, if your child interested in solving things, get a puzzle rather than a piano. There are several of these including play tents available on Amazon. Get this Teepee Tent on Amazon if your child likes camping.
- Choose toys that can be put into use in more than one way. Children get bored easily with something. If however, they can find different uses for one thing, they are sure to be engaged, for instance, clay, blocks, play tents, craft items, etc.
- Choose toys that encourage movement. Most kids are isolated at home and become couch potatoes before you even realize it. A play tent, an indoor badminton set, board games, skipping ropes, hula-hoops, etc. are all ways to get your child moving.
- Choose toys that encourage analytical skills. For example, gift your child puzzles, building blocks, shape sorters, etc. to improve coordination and problem-solving.
- Choose toys that ignite the imagination. Toys like tents, toy animals, vehicles, etc. are known to encourage imagination among kids.
Whatever toy you choose, make sure they are appropriate for your child’s age. There is no use getting an eight-year-old a rattle just because it makes beautiful music or an adult bicycle where his/her leg won’t reach.